Frequently asked questions

Below are some of the most common things we get asked about using our Members. If you have a query that isn’t answered below, please give our membership team a call on 0131 445 5577 or email [email protected] 

How can I find a registered electrician in my area?

You can use our Find a Contractor database to find a SELECT Member in your area. If you have any issues with using the online database or would prefer a member of staff to help you find a contractor in your area, give our Membership team a call on 0131 445 5577 or email [email protected]

Why should I use a SELECT Member company?

Customers can not to afford to take risks when choosing an electrical contractor. You should always check a company's credentials before you commission any work so you can reduce the risk of falling victim to a ‘rogue traders’. Choosing an unqualified contractor can mean significant delays in project delivery and unreasonable charges, general unprofessionalism, damage to your property and can in some cases result in a serious accident due to shoddy workmanship.

Every SELECT Member has to meet our stringent membership criteria and undergoes a rigorous technical assessment on a regular basis. This ensures that the work a SELECT Member carries out for you is safe and installed to recognised industry standards and practices. Click here to read more about why you should choose a SELECT Member.

How does SELECT deal with complaints against Members?

If you have a complaint about a SELECT Member you should first try to resolve the problem directly with the contractor.

Where this fails, or is not possible, we will investigate complaints submitted in writing on a complaint form, available from our offices.

Subject to conditions of SELECT’s Complaints Resolution Procedure being met, the details of which will accompany any complaint, the matter is passed to the SELECT Member for a written comment including any action that can be taken to resolve the problem.

Where appropriate, a SELECT Technical Adviser may carry out an inspection of the installation and prepare a report listing any deviations from the appropriate standard(s) identified. This report is then passed to the Member who, depending on the report findings, may be required to carry out rectification of any work identified as not meeting the required standards ie BS 7671. If this is the case, and in most instances, a further inspection is carried out by SELECT to satisfy the client that rectification has resulted in the installation complying with the standard(s).

How can I train to become a qualified electrician?

The SJIB Training Scheme is the only industry approved training scheme for Electrical Contracting apprenticeships in Scotland. This scheme is designed to regulate the entry, conditions of service, training and education of apprentices in the Electrical Contracting Industry.

The SJIB has delegated the management of its Training Scheme to SECTT. More information on the Training Scheme can be found here.

Can you briefly explain how the scheme for certification of electrical installations where a building warrant has been issued, such as for a loft conversion, works?

The Building (Scotland) Act 2003 introduced the concept of self-certification. This system allows qualified and experienced building professionals and tradespersons to be responsible for ensuring compliance with Building Regulations without the need for detailed scrutiny by Local Authorities. Persons operating as such under a Certification of Construction Scheme are known as Approved Certifiers. Anyone wishing to become an Approved Certifier must have the appropriate qualifications and experience to meet specific laid down criteria and be employed by reputable companies known as Approved Bodies, registered in a relevant Certification of Construction Scheme.

For electrical installations, SELECT is a Certification of Construction Scheme Provider. Electrical contractors meeting the laid down criteria can apply to join the SELECT Scheme and become Approved Bodies. This enables them to employ Approved Certifiers who provide the appropriate Electrical Certification and Certification of Construction towards compliance. More information on this Scheme can be found at

Where can I find an electrical contractor who is registered in the Scottish Building Standards Scheme for electrical installations?

The list of Approved Bodies, i.e. companies who are registered in the scheme and employ Approved Certifiers, can be found at

Alternatively, contact SELECT and we can help you find an Approved Body in your area.

My house has a consumer unit with rewireable fuses. I’ve been told by an electrician that I need to have the house rewired and the consumer unit replaced to ensure compliance with current regulations. Is this true?

BS 7671 is not intended to be applied retrospectively. There are many existing installations carried out in accordance with earlier editions of BS 7671 that may not comply with the current requirements. This, however, does not necessarily mean they are unsafe for continued use, or require upgrading. The condition of the installation would determine whether or not a rewire and/or change of consumer unit was necessary.

Note 1: There may be several reasons why a full or partial rewire of a house may be recommended by a SELECT Member. The following list, whilst not exhaustive, covers some of those reasons:

  • Deteriorated cable insulation, particularly pre-PVC types (e.g. rubber or lead-sheathed cables) which were typically installed prior to the 1960s.
  • Lack of provision of earthing facilities, e.g. at light fittings which require to be earthed.
  • Deterioration of cables, connections or accessories due, for example, to fire, overheating or water ingress.
  • Overloading due to an insufficient number of circuits.
  • Major structural alterations to the house affecting a large proportion of the existing wiring (which may have suffered damage in the process).
  • Sub-standard additions or alterations to the wiring having been carried out (particularly where unsafe ‘DIY’ work has been involved).
  • Test results indicate faulty wiring.

Note 2: There may be several reasons why the replacement of a consumer unit in a house may be recommended by a SELECT Member. The following list, whilst not exhaustive, covers some of those reasons:

  • The house is being fully or partially rewired, perhaps, for example, as a result of the reasons listed in Note 1 above.
  • The consumer unit cover is missing or the consumer unit is damaged, exposing live parts.
  • The consumer unit or protective devices have been damaged due to fire or overheating.
  • There are insufficient ways in the consumer unit for the number of existing circuits and/or circuits being added.
  • Suitable Residual Current Device (RCD) protection is not provided for
    • all circuits where the means of earthing is an earth electrode.
    • existing socket-outlets which may reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment for use outdoors.
    • any circuits being added, where such protection is required by BS 7671: 2008(as amended).
    • any existing circuits being altered, where such protection is required by BS 7671: 2008 (as amended).