SELECT, as part of BSE Skills Ltd, has been contracted by Skills Development Scotland to carry out a review of the National Occupational Standards (NOS) for the Electrical Industry across the UK to ensure they are up to date and fit for purpose.
A National Occupational Standard (NOS) is a document which describes the knowledge, skills and understanding an individual requires to be competent to do their job.
As part of this consultation, SELECT is working with UK partners, engaging with employers, colleges and training providers, sharing the consultation documentation and receiving & coordinating all the feedback. This work will conclude with a revised set of NOS. Thereafter, the next task will be to review the Qualifications and Apprenticeship Frameworks that are derived and created from the NOS.
As an employer/training provider you are invited to review the current NOS and advise whether you consider them to be fit for purpose (FFP) or whether any improvements or amendments are needed.
It is important that you participate in this review. This is your chance to influence the standards our Industry works to and trains by.
What we are asking you to do
We are asking you to do three things: –
- Read through the NOS specifications
- Provide feedback on the consultation document.
- Return the completed document to firstname.lastname@example.org
You do not need to read all of the NOS units. Please concentrate on the ones that are relevant to you and your business.
We can accept feedback up to an including noon on Thursday, 29 November 2018
- SUMBSE01 Apply health and safety and environmental legislation in the building services engineering sector
- SUMBSE02 Establish and maintain relationships in the building services engineering sector
- SUMBSE03 Coordinate a work site in the building services engineering sector
- SUMBSE04 Perform electrical work on mechanical building services systems
- SUMET04 Install enclosures for electrical cables, conductors and wiring systems
- SUMET05 Install and connect electrical cables, conductors, wiring systems and equipment
- SUMET06 Inspect and test electrical systems and equipment
- SUMET07 Commission electrical systems and equipment
- SUMET08 Identify and rectify faults in electrical systems and equipment
- SUMET09 Maintain electrical systems and equipment
- SUMETPM201 Application of Electrotechnical Technology
- SUMETPM202 Manage the effectiveness of the project workforce in the electrotechnical work location
- SUMETPM203 Manage electrotechnical projects in the work location
- SUMETPM204 Manage health and safety in the electrotechnical work location
- SUMETPM205 Develop estimates and tenders for electrotechnical projects
- SUMETPM206 Manage contract procedures for electrotechnical projects
- SUMEDD03 Endorse the Positioning, Fixing and Fitting of Electrical Wiring Systems, Wiring Enclosures, Equipment and Accessories In Dwellings In Accordance with Building Regulations
- SUMEID01 Implement Safe Site Working Practices when Working in Dwellings
- SUMEID02 Design and Determine the Positioning, Fitting and Fixing of Electrical Wiring Systems, Wiring, Enclosures, Accessories & Equipment In Dwellings In Accordance with Building Regulations
- SUMEID04 Inspect and Test Identified Electrical Wiring Systems and Equipment In Dwellings In Accordance with Building Regulations
- SUMEID05 Monitoring the Maintenance of a Healthy and Safe Working Environment when Undertaking Electrical Installations Work In Dwellings
- SUMEID06 Approve Completed Electrical Installation Work In Dwellings In Compliance with Building Regulations