Asking your electrician if they're registered is nothing to be awkward about.
The safety of people and property is being put at risk because 18 million of us feel too embarrassed to ask if an electrician is registered, according to recent research.
With more than half of all domestic fires in the UK arising from electricity – which also causes 350,000 serious accidents each year – ensuring your electrician is registered could end up saving your life.
Here are some tips to help you make sure you choose the right company for the job:
- Know the law – homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that electrical work in their property meets certain standards. Check them out before inviting companies to quote. Search in our ‘Find a Contractor‘ database to find a SELECT registered electrician. (Read more here about work that requires a building warrant).
- Be direct – have a phrase prepared, such as: “Before we get started can I see a copy of your SJIB registration card?”
- Ask early – do this before any work has been agreed or undertaken.
- Put the emphasis on the professional – a registered electrician can easily provide verification of their status. If you are working with a tradesperson who is unwilling to show you evidence of their qualification and registration status this could be a warning sign.
- Get at least two written quotes.
- Get advice – you can phone us on 0131 445 5577.